Skip to main content

I am a southpaw and so is Obama

me holding a penYesterday, I found out that Obama is also left handed and that got me wondering how many American presidents were left handed? A quick Google search revealed that since 1945, five of twelve presidents have been left-handed: Truman, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton.

After coming to Canada I quickly realized that being a southpaw was quite acceptable and not like in Switzerland frowned upon. Growing up a lefty in Switzerland wasn't easy, luckily things have changed greatly.

I inherited my left handedness from my mother and it got her into trouble growing up also. For her writing with her left hand never was a possibility. The teacher even gave her a hard time when she was sewing with her left hand. Does it really matter which direction the stitches of a handsewn seam go?

My trouble started when I started grade 1 in April of 1960. The teacher at first watched me write with my left hand and said that it looked like it was printed by a machine, but that did not seem to matter. The school system did not allow writing with the wrong hand. The teacher wrapped clear masking tape around my left hand, so that I could not use it to write, even though I somehow still managed at times. It took me 6 weeks to learn to write with my right hand and I was awarded a 100 g chocolate bar by the teacher.

So I wrote with my right hand. Yes it looked nice, but I was just so slow and awkward and hated it. Then about 3 months before I graduated from commercial school, after writing with my right hand for almost 12 years, I switched back to my left hand. I can't remember the reason any longer, but I vaguely recall that on my way to school in the train I found it easier to write with my left hand while balancing the notebook on my right hand.

Once my mother found out about my switch, she got very angry. The reason to understand why eluded me. The only thing I lost by switching hands to write was my shorthand skills as they were totally based on the right slanted, right handed way of writing. As a lefty I found writing straight up or even slightly slanted to the left made more sense. The other thing I changed was that all the loops of letters that have upper loops like: h, m, n, I turned into lower loops, so that an n looked like an u.

The other observation about being left-handed is that I can do a lot more with my right hand than a right-handed person can do with their left hand. Things I can't do with my right hand are spreading butter or jam or using scissors. I can use a spoon, but it is very awkward.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep Tip from the Mentalist TV Show

I like watching the Mentalist TV show and yesterday I got finally around to watch my latest recorded show. To my delight and surprise Patrick Jane's character gave this tip to help you fall asleep: If you have falling asleep you can count sheep or on your in-breath say or think 1 and then when you breath out say or think 2. On your next in-breath say or think 1 and when you breath out say or think 2. Keep on repeating this and you will be surprised that when you wake up it is morning. Give it a try and then connect with me on Facebook and let me know what happened . . . counting sheep

How to Make Simple Square Foot Gardening Templates

backside of template with holes drilled I am just about ready to start planting my square foot garden . Until now I have used string and sticks to mark things, but then I got an idea of how I could easily make some templates from old plastic election signs. The material was easy to cut with a knife and a permanent marker would help with the design. At first I thought that I would need a whole bunch of templates, but as I got going I realized that I could actually get away with only 2 templates. First cut 2 12x12 inch pieces from the plastic signs Draw a grid:  template 1: 3 rows and 3 columns template 2: 4 rows and 4 columns Mark the center of each square of the grid by drawing diagonal lines Use the electric drill and a ½" drill bit and drill a hole at each center point. Template 1 Template 1 Grid of 3 row and 3 columns (9 plants - holes circled in blue) This can also be used for 1 plant per square foot (hole circled in black and then blue)

Companion Planting Chart

Have you ever heard of companion planting ? Wikipedia explains it very nicely: Companion planting is the planting of different crops in proximity (in gardening and agriculture), on the theory that they assist each other in nutrient uptake, pest control, pollination, and other factors necessary to increasing crop productivity. Companion planting is a form of polyculture. Companion planting is used by farmers and gardeners in both industrialized and developing countries for many reasons. Many of the modern principles of companion planting were present many centuries ago in cottage gardens in England and home gardens in Asia. Check out this helpful chart to find the benefits of companion planting: Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.