Skip to main content

Found Another Piece of My Dyslexia Puzzle

Talking to my mom yesterday I discovered another piece of my dyslexia puzzle. She casually mentioned that she was watching the election of Mister Switzerland and that last year's winner said that his biggest problem was spelling and that many men then wrote in and said that they had the same problem. I wonder if boys have a different learning style regarding spelling than girls? Is the teaching style geared towards girls and not boys?

Well, that brought our conversation to me and learning to read in Grade 1. My mom explained that in 1960 I was taught the whole word method and not sounding out the words. I vividly remember telling the teacher that reading sucks and that I was never going to learn to read and would not take my homework, a box with words to make sentences, home. What was the teacher to do? She found an older neighbour's girl and asked her to bring my homework home for me and tell my mom. According to my mom is jumbled the letters b and d and everybody assumed that I did not know my ABC, but that was not true. I did know my ABC but the letters like b and d that are mirror opposites confused me and made reading difficult. In 1960 nobody knew what Dyslexia was.

I also recall when I was in Grade 6 going shopping for fruit and ordering a 'pilo keaches' rather than a 'kilo peaches' and I was very embarrassed about it. I don't seem to have much trouble with letter mixups anymore, but sometimes come across mistakes when I re-read something I wrote.

One way how my dyslexia shows itself if that I find it very difficult to follow when somebody is spelling a word fast, on the other hand, I have no trouble spelling a word for somebody. The most trouble I have with following spoken numbers like telephone numbers, I really have to concentrate. Telephone banking is just about impossible. I am still on the 2nd number when the whole number has already be said, I have no trouble with online banking which is visual.

I remember when my son was learning his ABCs his teacher asked me to help him at home as he found it difficult and she didn't have the time. For about 3 months we spent about 15 minutes after lunch practicing the ABC with a Fisher Price magnetic alphabet board. I found out very quickly that he knew his ABC but when I showed him a letter he could not tell me what it was, but if all the letter were jumbled on the table and I asked him to give me an 'H' he had no problem finding it.

My conclusion is, that a cookie cutter teaching style might leave some kids behind. I notice this when I am teaching how to use the computer. I have to find the right teaching style to get the information across.

Dyslexia articles:

More up-to-date posts



Older Links


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep Tip from the Mentalist TV Show

I like watching the Mentalist TV show and yesterday I got finally around to watch my latest recorded show. To my delight and surprise Patrick Jane's character gave this tip to help you fall asleep: If you have falling asleep you can count sheep or on your in-breath say or think 1 and then when you breath out say or think 2. On your next in-breath say or think 1 and when you breath out say or think 2. Keep on repeating this and you will be surprised that when you wake up it is morning. Give it a try and then connect with me on Facebook and let me know what happened . . . counting sheep

How to Make Simple Square Foot Gardening Templates

backside of template with holes drilled I am just about ready to start planting my square foot garden . Until now I have used string and sticks to mark things, but then I got an idea of how I could easily make some templates from old plastic election signs. The material was easy to cut with a knife and a permanent marker would help with the design. At first I thought that I would need a whole bunch of templates, but as I got going I realized that I could actually get away with only 2 templates. First cut 2 12x12 inch pieces from the plastic signs Draw a grid:  template 1: 3 rows and 3 columns template 2: 4 rows and 4 columns Mark the center of each square of the grid by drawing diagonal lines Use the electric drill and a ½" drill bit and drill a hole at each center point. Template 1 Template 1 Grid of 3 row and 3 columns (9 plants - holes circled in blue) This can also be used for 1 plant per square foot (hole circled in black and then blue)

Companion Planting Chart

Have you ever heard of companion planting ? Wikipedia explains it very nicely: Companion planting is the planting of different crops in proximity (in gardening and agriculture), on the theory that they assist each other in nutrient uptake, pest control, pollination, and other factors necessary to increasing crop productivity. Companion planting is a form of polyculture. Companion planting is used by farmers and gardeners in both industrialized and developing countries for many reasons. Many of the modern principles of companion planting were present many centuries ago in cottage gardens in England and home gardens in Asia. Check out this helpful chart to find the benefits of companion planting: Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.