Skip to main content

Going Shampoo free

my daughter's natural curlsLast October I came across an article talking about going shampoo free. I wondered what were they talking about, how would you wash your hair without shampoo? So, I read the article and it made sense, especially since I was getting frustrated the way my hair felt after washing it. It seemed to be coated in something and just did not feel natural.

Then today I came across another blog taking about going shampoo free. That gave me the idea to now talk about my experience with going shampoo free for the last 3 months.

my shower with the vinegar and bottle for the baking soda mixI really like it. I like the way my hair and scalp feels. My tendency towards greasy hair is greatly reduced. The biggest bonus I found is that in winter I have hardly any or non static hair. That never happened when I used shampoo and was very annoying.

This is the way I use the baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash my hair.
I have a one cup plastic peanut butter jar, baking soda in a jar and a plastic spoon in the bathroom as you can see from the picture to the left.

Before I jump into the shower I add 2 spoons of baking soda to the jar and fill it with warm water. Preferably warmer than I take the shower.

I wet my hair and pour half of the jar mix over my head rubbing the whole time I am pouring. This way of washing your hair does not make any suds which is quite strange at first. Now, massage your scalp and hair and rinse. Repeat. Your hair will feel kind of different, kind of coarse.

Rinse out the jar and fill it half full with water. Add 2 spoons of apple cider vinegar and pour over your hair. Make sure to close your eyes and tilt your head up, vinegar stings and you don't want it in your eyes. Now I usually soap myself and then rinse the vinegar off. The hair will now feel nice and soft again.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for posting this!

I always spend too much time trying to buy the 'right' 'environmentally nice' shampoo. I think 'no shampoo' is the only way.
marliescohen said…
I never went to environmentally friendly route as the shampoos were always way more expensive and the dollar store didn't carry them.

Popular posts from this blog

Sleep Tip from the Mentalist TV Show

I like watching the Mentalist TV show and yesterday I got finally around to watch my latest recorded show. To my delight and surprise Patrick Jane's character gave this tip to help you fall asleep: If you have falling asleep you can count sheep or on your in-breath say or think 1 and then when you breath out say or think 2. On your next in-breath say or think 1 and when you breath out say or think 2. Keep on repeating this and you will be surprised that when you wake up it is morning. Give it a try and then connect with me on Facebook and let me know what happened . . . counting sheep

How to Make Simple Square Foot Gardening Templates

backside of template with holes drilled I am just about ready to start planting my square foot garden . Until now I have used string and sticks to mark things, but then I got an idea of how I could easily make some templates from old plastic election signs. The material was easy to cut with a knife and a permanent marker would help with the design. At first I thought that I would need a whole bunch of templates, but as I got going I realized that I could actually get away with only 2 templates. First cut 2 12x12 inch pieces from the plastic signs Draw a grid:  template 1: 3 rows and 3 columns template 2: 4 rows and 4 columns Mark the center of each square of the grid by drawing diagonal lines Use the electric drill and a ½" drill bit and drill a hole at each center point. Template 1 Template 1 Grid of 3 row and 3 columns (9 plants - holes circled in blue) This can also be used for 1 plant per square foot (hole circled in black and then blue)

Companion Planting Chart

Have you ever heard of companion planting ? Wikipedia explains it very nicely: Companion planting is the planting of different crops in proximity (in gardening and agriculture), on the theory that they assist each other in nutrient uptake, pest control, pollination, and other factors necessary to increasing crop productivity. Companion planting is a form of polyculture. Companion planting is used by farmers and gardeners in both industrialized and developing countries for many reasons. Many of the modern principles of companion planting were present many centuries ago in cottage gardens in England and home gardens in Asia. Check out this helpful chart to find the benefits of companion planting: Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.