Skip to main content

Needle Case from Popsicle Sticks

Yesterday I talked about my new beading needles, there is only one problem with them, how to store them as they are 4.5 inches long? I did not want to go out and buy a special case or box. Then I decided I could make a case myself with materials I already had in the house.

I used some large popsicle sticks (they are probably tongue depressors), wooden thin coffee stir sticks, old magnet business cards, some fun foam, wood glue, wire cutters, small saw and fabric markers.

The length of the box was limited by the length of the tongue depressors after I sawed off the round ends. So my finished box is 5.25 inches long and 2.25 inches wide. The width is 3 tongue depressors wide.

I glued 3 tongue depressors together and then glued 4 small pieces of the thin coffee stir sticks across to stablize them. The stir sticks are easy to cut with the wire cutters. Next I cut the tongue depressors to make the side pieces and glued everything together, again using the stir sticks as stabilizers. I glued a piece of fun foam on the inside and on top of that 2 magnet pieces to hold the needles.

Next I repeated the whole procedure but slightly larger for the cover. Inside the lid I glued one magnet piece. To decorate the top, I used the round ends that I had sawed off to create flowers. As the box lid has a really tight fit, I could not paint the box, but I remembered that fabric markers are perfect to color the popsicle sticks. The box turned out quite well, the only thing that surprised me was the amount of time it took to make, almost 2 hours.


Popular posts from this blog

Sleep Tip from the Mentalist TV Show

I like watching the Mentalist TV show and yesterday I got finally around to watch my latest recorded show. To my delight and surprise Patrick Jane's character gave this tip to help you fall asleep:

If you have falling asleep you can count sheep or on your in-breath say or think 1 and then when you breath out say or think 2. On your next in-breath say or think 1 and when you breath out say or think 2. Keep on repeating this and you will be surprised that when you wake up it is morning.

Give it a try and then connect with me on Facebook and let me know what happened . . .

How to Make Simple Square Foot Gardening Templates

I am just about ready to start planting my square foot garden. Until now I have used string and sticks to mark things, but then I got an idea of how I could easily make some templates from old plastic election signs. The material was easy to cut with a knife and a permanent marker would help with the design.

At first I thought that I would need a whole bunch of templates, but as I got going I realized that I could actually get away with only 2 templates.

First cut 2 12x12 inch pieces from the plastic signsDraw a grid: template 1: 3 rows and 3 columnstemplate 2: 4 rows and 4 columnsMark the center of each square of the grid by drawing diagonal linesUse the electric drill and a ½" drill bit and drill a hole at each center point.

Template 1

Grid of 3 row and 3 columns (9 plants - holes circled in blue)This can also be used for 1 plant per square foot (hole circled in black and then blue)

Template 2 This one is truly a multi-use templateGrid 4 rows and 4 columns (16 plants - holes circle…

Companion Planting Chart

Have you ever heard of companion planting? Wikipedia explains it very nicely:
Companion planting is the planting of different crops in proximity (in gardening and agriculture), on the theory that they assist each other in nutrient uptake, pest control, pollination, and other factors necessary to increasing crop productivity. Companion planting is a form of polyculture.

Companion planting is used by farmers and gardeners in both industrialized and developing countries for many reasons. Many of the modern principles of companion planting were present many centuries ago in cottage gardens in England and home gardens in Asia.
Check out this helpful chart to find the benefits of companion planting:

Let me know if you found this information helpful and write a comment.